Ford Model A Roadster 1931 model



After a while I had the time to bring this project to a decent stage and I decided to publish it.

The object is made up of 42 stl files, but:

  • 2 of them are not part of the model itself, the "windscreen template" and the "rear window template" should only be printed to be used as templates to help cutting in exact shape some transparent acetate or similar to be used as "glass" for the windscreen and the rear window
  • the "half internal wheel" and the "half external wheel" have to be printed five times each,
  • the "handle" has to be printed three times,
  • the "internal handle" has to be printed two times.

Please notice that the model was designed to resemble the 1931 Ford Model A Roadster, but several details are missing or different from the original. I beg your pardon but I made a compromise between design time, decentness of result and printability. E.g. the starter handle ("cranck") was indeed not present in the original that was already with electric starter.

The engine parts are coarse, and the entire lower part is flat with no detail (ugly but it helps a lot when printing the "main body").

Scale is approximately 1:15. The complete model is 26 cm long, i.e. 10" 1/5

Print Settings

Printer: Anycubic I3 Ultrabase

Resolution: 0.2 mm

Infill: 25%

Filament_brand: Anycubic

Filament_color: white

Filament_material: PLA


Fenders, canopy and bonnet thickness is about 1 mm: must be printed with brim or raft and supports but be very careful when removing them. Main body, half wheels, bumpers can be printed without brim or raft but they need supports too. For tiny parts as handles brim is a must. License plates must be printed face up and parallel to the printer bed, if you want to read the writing on them.


Carefully remove supports, refine pieces sanding them and glue with cyanoacrilate. The model is fully static, sorry no moving part. When coupling the wheel halves rotate the external one until both the spikes AND the tread sculpture matches. As an alternative you could decide to merge the halves and print each wheel at once. The "brake master cylinder" and the "steering rod" don't have a groove or notch to be positioned in: look at the pictures for best positioning. The windscreen frame must be glued slightly inclined bacward: for best positioning use the canopy as a reference. Note: the model in the pictures was not glued with cyanoacrilate but all the parts were put together using UHU Patafix: my intention is to airbrush paint it and it is much better if you paint the parts separately. Maybe I'll post some pictures of the model once colored later on (if decorous enough!)

How I Designed This

I designed most of the parts in FreeCAD 0.18, but for the curved and complex shapes (fenders, bonnet, canopy) I used Blender. Once modeled in Blender, parts were imported back in FreeCAD, transformed in shapes, solidified and refined adding construcion pins and holes

Design Files

File Size

rear bumpers.stl
153 KB
rear axle.stl
4.96 KB
main body.stl
991 KB
left rear light and license plate.stl
189 KB
left headlight.stl
138 KB
left headlight ring nut.stl
78.5 KB
windscreen frame.stl
43 KB
front axle.stl
16.7 KB
front and radiator.stl
529 KB
111 KB
968 KB
engine exhaust.stl
563 KB
62.4 KB
carburettor and ducts.stl
337 KB
1.43 MB
brake master cylinder.stl
21.1 KB
brake drum.stl
124 KB
625 KB
25.3 KB
windscreen template.stl
2.62 KB
throttle pedal.stl
40.8 KB
steering wheel.stl
188 KB
steering rod.stl
6.23 KB
spare wheel hub.stl
6.72 KB
806 KB
rear left fender.stl
415 KB
rear right fender.stl
441 KB
rear window template.stl
6.14 KB
right headlight ring nut.stl
78.9 KB
right headlight.stl
122 KB
right rear light.stl
76.1 KB
front bumper.stl
140 KB
front left fender.stl
391 KB
front license plate.stl
121 KB
front right fender.stl
334 KB
gear shift.stl
48.3 KB
half external wheel.stl
300 KB
half internal wheel.stl
357 KB
20.8 KB
169 KB
199 KB
internal handle.stl
221 KB


Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now