No Prints Yet
Be the first to upload a Print for this Design!
The Printrbot Simple is a great little 3D printer that is easy to carry around (as long as you have something to hold onto). The new ones have a handle, but The Carbon-Fiber Handle meets the requirement for the original.
The parts for the Carbon-Fiber Handle were among the first things I printed after getting the Simple up and going. The handle can also be made with an oak dowel, but the carbon-fiber tube is much stronger than wood, and it feels more secure when carrying the printer.The design has been updated (on 5 August 2013). The original design fit the Beta Test version of the Simple.
- Print the handle parts (grouped into part 1 and part 2 to accommodate the size of the Simple printing bed).
- Cut the 0.210 inch carbon-fiber tube into 3 pieces (2) 8.5 inch long and (1) 4.25 inch long.
- Put 2 O-rings on each carbon-fiber tubes.
- Insert the tubes into the printed parts.
- Drill 1/32 inch holes through printed-parts-with-tubes for pinning the tubes with nails.
- Cut nails to .5 inch (if necessary) and push them through printed-parts-with-tubes using pliers
- Cover the nails with O-rings to keep them in place (and to complete handle assembly).
- Locate the handle on the Printrbot Simple and drill holes for the screws.
- Attach the handle with screws
- (4) Printed parts
- (4) O-rings (ID = 7/16 inch)
- (6) #2 x .5 inch brass screws
- (6) #19 x .5 inch wire nails (or cut longer nails)
- (1) 0.210 inch carbon fiber tube from Amazon.com cut into (2) 8.5 inch pieces and (1) 4.25 inch piece
- Sometimes printed parts split along the grain, and the O-rings alleviate this worry.
I printed my Carbon-Fiber Handle parts in ABS on my Printrbot LC because I wanted to safely handle my Simple from the beginning.