Base Design: http://www.thingiverse.com/thi...
Smart Phone Controlled Robot - MobBob V2 Remix Upgrade
3D Design Tool: SketchUp Pro
Design concept: RAPIRO - The Humanoid Robot and Gundam
This is an upgrade version of my MobBob V2 Remix robot. MobBob is a smart phone controlled robot. By harnessing the power of your smart phone, MobBob is a walking, talking robot with voice recognition and computer vision that you can build for around $35. I will be continuing to extend his features over time. I want MobBob to be a companion robot that everyone can afford and have fun with. You can see videos of MobBob V2 Remix upgrade in action here:
- 3D Design - Test #1 - Test #2 - Test #3 ..... Coming soon!!
The main aims of the V2 remix were to:
Support standard 9g servos [previously I was using Tower Pro SG90 servos] Make everything easier to assemble [no more need for glue] Make it easier to adapt/modify for other phones. The new bracket system made it easier to exchange a new phone / the battery holder.
Also, in my V2 Remix Upgrade build, I'm also using the Arduino Nano instead of the DIY Nano shield, so the entire build is smaller and tidier. :)
MobBob V2 Remix Upgrade uses the same software as the original RAPIRO.
You can find the latest Arduino code here: https://github.com/Ishiwatari/...
The modified code is included: http://www.thingiverse.com/thi...
You can download the latest version of the Android from Google Play - it is free, ad-free, and without IAP: https://play.google.com/store/...
You can find more detailed build and wiring instructions here:
The non-3D printed parts you need are:
- 6 x Tower Pro SG90 servos [for Shoulders, Arms and Hands]
- 4 x EMAX ES08MA II Mini Metal Gear Analog Servo [Strengthening the power of the Legs and Foots]
- 1 x Arduino Nano ATmega328 [see note below]
- 1 x HM-10 BLE Bluetooth 4.0 CC2540 CC2541 Serial Wireless Module [or HC-05]
- 1 x 5V Micro USB 1A Lithium Battery Charging Board [see note below]
- 1 x DC-DC Converter Step Up Boost Module 2-5V to 5V 1.2A
- 1 x Rectangle On/Off Long Rocker Switch SPST
- 2 x Snap-In Single 'A'-'AA' Battery Contacts 209 [KEYSTONE ELECTRONICS CORP.]
- 2 x Snap-In Single 'A'-'AA' Battery Contacts 228 [KEYSTONE ELECTRONICS CORP.]
- 2 x 18650 Lithium ion Batteries
- 1 x 300mm USB 2.0 A Male to Micro USB B 5pin + Mini B Male Y Splitter Cable
- 1 x Smart Phone [see note below]
- 4 x M3 5mm [for Foot Cover]
- 2 x M2 10mm [for Phone Connect]
- 4 x M2 5mm [for Phone Mount Back Plate]
- 2 x 2mm 5mm Tapping screw [for Foot servos]
- 2 x 2mm 8mm Tapping screw [for Hip servos]
- 2 x 1mm 5mm Tapping screw [for Foot servos hone]
- 2 x 1mm 8mm Tapping screw [for Hip servos hone and Shoulder]
- 2 x M3 15mm [for Jacket]
- 2 x M3 Nut [for Jacket]
- 4 x 2mm 15mm Tapping screw [for Jacket]
- 12 x M2 15mm [for Arm and Hand]
[Note: I got the servos, Arduino Nano, Bluetooth Module and Battery for under $30.]
This is a small, Arduino compatible ATmega328 board with DIY extension board. MobBob V2 app connects to the Bluetooth module using its Bluetooth LE service. The app to support other Bluetooth cards.
You can use other batteries that provide 5V with a steady current. If you use other batteries, you may need to adapt the battery rack for your battery's size. Use 18650 Lithium Battery Charging Board With Protection Charger Module and Step Up Boost Module 3.7V to 5V for Smart Phone http://www.thingiverse.com/thi...
You can use other Android Smart Phones with This app. You do not need to adapt the size of the phone holder for your phone. The app has been successfully tested with Nexus and Samsung, LG phones, but should work on other Android phones.
Print all the required parts Get all the non-3D printed parts Assemble as per the photos - I'll be writing some more detailed instructions on my website soon! Install the Arduino code from the GitHub link in the description.
If you hit any problems, please post a question on this website: [http://www.rapiro.com], here, or on YouTube channel. A few people have built RAPIRO now, so there are people around who can help.
Coming soon update!!
The open source Mobbob V2 hardware and software is free and made with love. Please show your level of support with a voluntary donation.